- June 2017
- ISBN Print
- ISBN eBook
Elements of Indigenous Style
A Guide for Writing by and about Indigenous Peoples
Elements of Indigenous Style provides guidelines to help writers, editors, and publishers produce material that reflects Indigenous people in an appropriate and respectful manner.
Gregory Younging, a member of the Opsakwayak Cree Nation in Northern Manitoba, has been the managing editor of Theytus Books, the first Aboriginal-owned publishing house in Canada, for over 13 years. Elements of Indigenous Style evolved from the house style guide Gregory developed at Theytus in order to ensure content was consistent and respectful.
This guide contains:
- A historical overview of the portrayal of Indigenous peoples in literature
- Common errors and how to avoid them when writing about Indigenous peoples
- Guidance on working in a culturally sensitive way
- A discussion of problematic and preferred terminology
- Suggestions for editorial guidelines