- June 2019
- Trade paperback (US)
- ISBN Print
- ISBN eBook
Writing Essays that Make the Grade
How do you write better essays? It’s not just about understanding the proper structure and avoiding common errors—you also need to discover who you are as a writer and learn how to use the gifts you already have. Writing instructor Laura Swart gives you the tools to unlock your potential as a writer and create essays that will stand out from the rest of your class. Stop boring your profs with dull papers and get better grades!
You’ll learn how to:
- Read critically, ask effective questions, and grapple with difficult texts;
- Define the rhetorical situation for each writing event and contextualize pieces appropriately;
- Develop an effective writing process—from exploring, to creating, to revising and editing;
- Write analytical papers with persuasive thesis statements and supporting theoretical arguments;
- Use appropriate source materials, ensuring that quotations are relevant, poignant, and seamless;
- Extend the boundaries of your thinking, giving a wide berth to mundane, ubiquitous ideas.