- May 2014
- Reinforced Cover
- ISBN Print
- ISBN eBook
Lab Literacy for Canadian Doctors
A Guide to Ordering the Right Tests for Better Patient Care
Choosing wisely for better patient care
Lab Literacy for Canadian Doctors is an affordable, comprehensive pocket guide to the best lab tests for typical clinical situations, helping you improve patient care. This unique guide is about which lab investigations to do first. It outlines the most efficient and cost-effective way to use laboratory tests to support clinical diagnosis and management.
Refer to this essential guide for:
- Advice and information on lab errors, false positives and negatives, and blood and tissue collection.
- A quick index summarizing the clinical utility of common tests.
- Sections on dermatology, ENT and respiratory system, endocrine system, fatigue, GI and hepatic system, gynecology and pregnancy, routine screening, and more.
- Protocols for screening tests that follow Canadian guidelines.
- Values in both conventional and SI units.
"Finally, a highly readable, practical guide for physicians that focuses on the ordering of laboratory tests based on the underlying clinical context. A valuable resource that promises to advance health care quality through promoting patient-centred, appropriate care."
Richard G. Hegele, MD, FRCPC, PhD
Professor & Chair, Dept. of Laboratory Medicine & Pathobiology, University of Toronto
Chief, Dept. of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children
"Appropriate utilization of clinical laboratory tests is an important part of practicing medicine in 21st century. Dr. Naugler has done an excellent job by providing the most up-to-date information in a relatively complicated subject in an easy-to-follow format."
Hossein Sadrzadeh, PhD, DABCC, FACB
Chief, Clinical Biochemistry Section, Calgary Laboratory Services
Clinical Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary
Table of Contents
2. Ears, nose, and throat, and respiratory system
3. Endocrine system
5. Gastrointestinal and hepatic system
6. Genitourinary system
7. Gynecology and pregnancy
8. Intoxication and toxidromes
10. Musculoskeletal system
12. Routine screening
13. Therapeutic drug monitoring
14. Lab basics
Lab investigations index